from the Church of St Mary the Virgin, few buildings remain
from the period before the dissolution of the Monasteries in
1536. The Hospice (a branch of Harrold priory) was demolished
in the 1870s along with the great mediaeval tithe barn and the
old Manor House. However, parts of the Old Vicarage and the
Duck End Farmhouse and Picts Hill House (formerly in Stevington
Parish) can be dated from the late mediaeval period.
by Bernard West
more remains from the 17th Century including the Baptist Meeting,
but there are many attractive stone cottages dating from the
middle of that Century. In addition there are numerous fine
barns, some thatched, which date from the 18th Century.
windmill is one of the few surviving examples of a post mill.
It dates from the late 18th Century and is basically in working
order, though no corn has been ground there since 1936.
the early Middle Ages the Lordship of Stevingon was held from
the time of the Conquest by the Counts of Boulogne, important
tenants in chief of the Norman kings. Later, it passed to the
aristocratic families of de Quency, Wake, Holland and Stanley
and, finally, to the influential local family of the Alstons.
The Lordship ceased to have legal effect in 1926.